Focus on Fat
- Fats are calorie heavy with 9 calories per gram, while carbohydrates and protein have just 4 calories per gram.
- Read labels to find low-fat and fat-free options for favorites like milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, half-and-half, ice cream and whipped topping. To adjust more easily, make a gradual switch from reduced-fat to low-fat and then on to fat-free ingredients.
- Use part-skim cheeses, like Mozzarella, instead of higher fat counterparts, or use sharper-flavored cheeses like Cheddar, Parmesan, feta or Gorgonzola since their more pungent flavors allow you to use less.
- Canola, soybean and olive oils are good fats to use for stir-frying, cooking and some baking because they have less saturated fat than many other options.
- Egg substitutes can replace eggs at a savings of 5 grams of fat each (1/4 cup = 1 large egg).